Board Game Making, Childhood Games, and All Things Creative at This Year’s Design Week
by Sherry Tadeja, April 18, 2019 6:37pm
See the kaleidoscope of art, design and creativity!
Creatives in the Philippines have been making names and marks in both the local and international scene. From animation, fashion design, to game design and more—the local creative community is thriving and promising. And it thrives more than ever especially at one of the biggest local celebration of everything creative—The 11th Design Week Philippines happening this April 22-28, 2019.
The Design Week Philippines is a biannual, week-long celebration of design, creativity and the arts in all its various forms. This event is initiated by the Department of Trade and Industry-Design Center Philippines, to highlight and connect creative industries from all over the country. It also aims to strengthen creative ideas and skills through one event.
With this year’s theme: Design Kaleidoscope: Seeing The World Different Through Design, Design Week 2019 aims to put the spotlight on diverse and playful forms of design.
It makes sense that this year’s lineup of activities has a playful, nostalgic twist to it with Design Talks on local tabletop game development; Creative Workshops where participants can take a crash course creating Baybayin henna, coloring the classic turumpo (top), recreating the sipa toy (made of plastic straws) and more. There will also be a Larong Lahi Tournament where participants can show-off their hidden abilities on childhood games such as Tumbang Preso, Turumpo, Sipa, Patintero, Piko, and Baong Sangko.
This week-long event will also be filled with seminars, workshops, trade shows, tournaments, networking, film showing and exhibits happening simultaneously in Manila, Cebu, and Davao.
Catch these events happening across Manila next week as part of the Design Week Philippines 2019:
- The Animator’s Couch on April 23 at Toon City Academy, Mandaluyong City
- Fashion Revolution Philippines on April 22-28th at Pasay City
- Manila FAME on April 25-27 at World Trade Center, Pasay City
- 6th Filipino Footwear Design Competition 2019 on April 8-28th at Zapateria, Marikina City
- Maker Mixer: A Gathering of QC-based creative entrepreneurs on April 24, 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. at Malingap Central, Quezon City.
- Laro Laro Likha on April 27 at Binondo, Manila
- Designers After Dark: Designing for Impact in Communities April 27, 6:00 p.m. at Rockwell, Makati
- Talks on Art, Collection and Interior Design on April 27 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. at Don Gesu Bldg, Muntinlupa City
- Creative Roundtable: Trade Secrets on April 27 2:00 to 5:00 p.m. at Malingap Central Food Hall, Teacher’s Village
- Kaleidoscope: Talks on Art Collection and Interior Design on April 27, 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. at Muntinlupa.
The existence of Design Week Philippines is proof that design and art and everything about it should have an avenue where it's lifted and celebrated. And like a kaleidoscope—it may come in various forms, shapes, and sizes but as one it makes a beautiful image.
For more information, follow Design Week Philippines on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
The Manillennial Scene
at Your Fingertips
Please provide a valid Email Address.
Thank you for subscribing.