Narco-generals? 2 PNP honchos axed

Darryl Esguerra
PUBLISHED October 10, 2017 08:43 am
Chief Supt. Edgardo G. Tinio (L) and Director Joel Pagdilao (R).

(Inside Manila) President Rodrigo Duterte has dismissed two high-ranking members of the Philippine National Police (PNP) for their alleged involvement in the illegal drug trade, Malacañang announced on Monday, October 9.


Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella said Duterte had fired Director Joel Pagdilao, former chief of the National Capital Region Police Office, and Chief Supt. Edgardo G. Tinio, former head of the Quezon City police.


He said the dismissed top cops were found administratively liable for serious neglect of duty and serious irregularity in the performance of duty.


“Evidence shows that both generals deliberately refused, without cause, to perform their duties as police officers resulting in the proliferation of the drug trade in their areas of jurisdiction,” Abella said.


Albella said he is unaware if the two officials would face criminal charges.


Tinio and Pagdilao were among the five alleged “narco-generals” the President singled out in a speech last year. The three others were retired police officials Marcelo Garbo Jr., Bernardo Diaz and Vic Loot.


The five vehemently denied the allegations, saying that Duterte was fed with wrong intel by people who wanted to taint their names.

RELATED ARTICLE

NATION

LOOK: Baguio just 3 hours away from Manila?

(Inside Manila) As the new Tarlac-Pangasinan-La Union Expressway (TPLEx) Exit opened, the Summer Capital of the Philippines—Baguio—moved closer to the Metro at the same time.